Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux (correction)

On Sunday 05 February 2006 04:59, blahblah@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Although, you may want to run AV in linux for various reasons, some
misleading points were made:

"If you run wine, zen, mach, vmware, or anything that runs or can run
windows (or another vulnerable OS), than you should run AV in at least
the virtual machine, and preferably in both linux and virtual machine."

Is a little misleading:
wine - Just because a windows exploit exists in windows, does not mean it
exists in wine. For example - if windows has a buffer exploit somewhere in
its dlls, that does not mean it will exist in wine (and vice-versa). This
is because the wine team is re-implementing the windows API without looking
at the windows code, and the implementations will differ.
snip
To make a quick counterpoint: this doesn't work when the vulnerability that is
being exploited resides on the code of the program you run under wine.

I've seen a couple of virii/worms attacking software running under wine.

And there are a couple of linux virii out there. Not a lot, but they are
there. A normal user of linux wouldn't come in contact with these, so it
isn't a reason to demand AV for linux.

That said, I agree totally with AV for linux to stop help spreading malicious
data (fileshares, email, ftp, those sort of things).

Kind regards,

Lucien Fransman
irC2

Stu

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Someone Posted This On MySpace
    ... programming language) ported to a Linux machine I'd ditch Windows ... The retard thinks his only two options for surfing Usenet are Outhouse ... I haven't ever used WINE yet, ...
    (alt.2600)
  • Re: Java im Zeitalter von Vista
    ... Ich war unter Windows lange Zeit begeisterter Trillian-User, ... Unter Linux habe ich ... Also holte ich Trillian raus und installierte es unter wine. ...
    (de.comp.lang.java)
  • Re: Got Burned one too many times
    ... The Windows platform is for suckers. ... >> Wine is for Windows application emulation. ... company is 98% Linux. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Wine zusammen mit MS Win benutzen
    ... > Einige Programme für MS Win laufen unter Wine nur mit installiertem ... meines Wissens ist es gar nicht möglich ein Windows unter wine zu ... aktuelle Patches dienen nur der Sicherheit - die ist unter Linux sowieso ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: which windows emulator?
    ... Will Wine do the job? ... > some genuine Windows DLL files. ... > they set up a virtual machine that runs the real Windows OS within Linux. ... Win4Lin Pro is for Win2K and WinXP. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)