Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

Nod32 has AV for linux email an file servers.
We use it for windows clients and is from far better than the other I've even tried: that are
norton, AVG, symantec and panda.
It detects very good the general malware (adware,spyware,etc..) not all, but the most important.

En/na jcarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ha escrit:
A good cross-platform AV that we licensed and use at work is AVG,
www.grisoft.com

If you have not stumpled upon them yet they also give away a free
version for 'home' users. Just google for "free avg" and grab it.
Licensing is good for 2 years unlike other win32 AV apps.... and it is
much more affordable and gives you MORE seats for less.

They have larger apps as well if you like a full suite of produce....
;-)

I can't speak for others but I can tell you it has been an essential
tool for us at work. We run primarily Slackware Linux desktops with a
smattering of win32 clients here and there... mostly for the marketing
folks...

On a multi-user system I think that AV is essential, on individual win32
boxes it is of paramount importance. Your personal Linux desktop....
well it all depends on what sites you are visiting and what you tend to
do when the unknown or unexpected occurs. Do you have a host based
firewall? Do you have a network edge firewall? Do you log your system?
Do you log outbound traffic through your firewall(s).... Plenty of cool
tools out there... Would not be too hard to determine if you 'need' AV
on your box.

BTW I have enjoyed this thread very much... interesting approaches and
thoughts from all.

l8r,
James Carter
jcarter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.mindmerge.net

-Quote-
The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been
considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it
offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of
rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first
instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story of the John Marshall Court
-End Quote-