Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

Out of curiosity, what was the situation around a hacker actively arp spoofing on your net targetting your boxes? It takes a certain level of sophistication to set up a DNS server, the necassary port forwards from the "router", and the trojan file server for the package. I have always espoused that security should be balanced with the potential motivation for a skilled hacker to target you, why did a hacker target you? Note that I am not saying using the dsniff package or even manually sending the arp replies takes skill but it does (AFAIK) take a human.

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Sergiy Michka wrote:

Alexander Klimov schrieb:
 On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Benson, Sean M wrote:

> Should you run an anti-virus on linux for non-work issues?
> (Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. not mail servers.)

Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which has infected your linux box? If the answer is no (and I guess this is the case) then it is pointless to install an anti-virus for internal use.

I didnt had any virus on my linux boxes but I got a rootkit vie arp spoofing from internal network on 2 debian boxes (ignored the warning from apt-get, that the checksum from one package was wrong.. after that I got SIGSEGV with aptitude and got kernel based rootkit installed).

Maybe it wouldnt happen to me, if I would have a good and working Antivir on the boxes or would have more brain to stop installation from such one package..

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Stop bad software
    ... would target linux. ... with equal market share Windows would have more problems. ... The fact of the matter is that flaws in other ... operating systems are not as readily identified because no hacker is ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • Re: Stop bad software
    ... would target linux. ... with equal market share Windows would have more problems. ... The fact of the matter is that flaws in other ... operating systems are not as readily identified because no hacker is ...
    (misc.consumers)
  • RE: AUTODATE
    ... me the drop down boxes, I have put this in the Start Date AfterUpdate??? ... CLick on the tab. ... "Nixxie" wrote: ... I have a 'start date' field in my sheet and and a 'target reply' field ...
  • Re: I am protected?
    ... I would listen to all these guys and it probebly wouldnt hurt to ... if you are not a target the worse thing that will happen is ... hacker might come along and make you shut up. ... asked people to hack it. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Big seller or smaller orders
    ... it was such an annoying morning for me at Target. ... Oh, back to the annoying morning, young sales clerk. ... We go to an aisle that has carts and in the carts are boxes. ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)