Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

Alexander Klimov schrieb:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Benson, Sean M wrote:

Should you run an anti-virus on linux for non-work issues?
(Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. not mail servers.)

Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which
has infected your linux box? If the answer is no (and I guess this is
the case) then it is pointless to install an anti-virus for internal
use.

I didnt had any virus on my linux boxes but I got a rootkit vie arp spoofing from internal network on 2 debian boxes (ignored the warning from apt-get, that the checksum from one package was wrong.. after that I got SIGSEGV with aptitude and got kernel based rootkit installed).

Maybe it wouldnt happen to me, if I would have a good and working Antivir on the boxes or would have more brain to stop installation from such one package..

Relevant Pages

  • Errors applying kernel patch 118833-36
    ... install of Solaris 10 11/06. ... However, once the package list is done, I see a worrisome message: ... Below is the complete console output of the patch run. ... Changes for package SUNWnfsskr will not be applied to the system. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: SmartMenu - was: VRPC on a USB pen
    ... in applications distributed via package systems which are supposed to ... having to get the user to install it, or they could present the user ... Haskell compiler and associated tools (collectively referred to on ... haskell.org as the 'platform' package). ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: Stronghelp - can I change location set by Packman?
    ... it was needed to install a package though. ... RISC OS desktop. ... Simpler for the newbies arriving from Linux, ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: Stronghelp - can I change location set by Packman?
    ... piles of applications causes lots of random file reads, ... third party installers such as, say, a package manager, but it all got ... applications *do* install things into Choices. ... I have nothing against an app in Choices - it's ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: media player 10 setup issues
    ... Finished building install list. ... Package 'MPPRE' is version '10.0.0.3802'. ... Install for Exception pack ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsmedia)