Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 15:01 +0200, Alexander Klimov wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Benson, Sean M wrote:
> > Should you run an anti-virus on linux for non-work issues?
> > (Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. not mail servers.)
>
> Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which
> has infected your linux box? If the answer is no (and I guess this is
> the case) then it is pointless to install an anti-virus for internal
> use.

uuuhhh.. see, clamAV's big use is that you can use clamav to scan for
windows/dos worms and viruses.. on nas boxes, or mail servers..

the biggest problem is that somewhere along the line someone forgot that
even working with a binary under an os other then its native execution
environment, does not make it "safe"..

-phar

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux
    ... > (Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. ... not mail servers.) ... have you ever seen a virus which ... has infected your linux box? ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: The best Free Firewall software on the Internet
    ... rather to keep Windoze viruses at bay. ... mail servers that deliver mail to Windoze boxes. ... source operating systems to virus attacks. ... the latest in a long line to target Linux. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux
    ... > Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which ... This would apply to Linux users just as well: ... As others have pointed out - clamav has a limited scope and is probably ... better suited to mail servers, checking for rootkits is just as ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: "Bugbear" virus in Linux?
    ... >> Linux binaries if a system were accidentally booted with the floppy ... but that doesn't mean that the virus author has such ... a common means of propagation of DOS viruses ... BBSes, where they infect floppies, that get passed ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: How secure are you
    ... Windows is running and doing whatever it takes to make ... users on Linux is to compromise on this advantage that they now ... So for a virus to propagate from one file to the next is ... > If Windows didn't have this feature, then a virus wouldn't be able to infect ...
    (alt.computer.security)