Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

At 1/18/2006 09:33 AM, Alexander Klimov wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Benson, Sean M wrote:
>> Should you run an anti-virus on linux for non-work issues?
>> (Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. not mail servers.)
>
>Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which
>has infected your linux box? If the answer is no (and I guess this is
>the case) then it is pointless to install an anti-virus for internal
>use.

From a security perspective, if there are Windows client's or servers in the environment, it is still critical to have AV on any and all Linux machines that any Windows machine has access to in order to prevent the spread of viruses. Especially mail gateways.

>-- >Regards, >ASK

-- Gregory D. Rosenberg N9NNO RICIS, Inc. +1 866-RICIS-77 Toll Free Voice (US) Chief Technology Officer +1 708-444-2690 Voice (International) gregg@xxxxxxxxx +1 866-99-RICIS Toll Free Fax (US) www.ricis.com - +1 708-444-2697 Fax (International)

Novell Platinum / ISV partner
SUSE LINUX Premium business, technology, education, and support partner

"I only enjoy the type of magic performed by a magician, never that performed by a computer :-)"
Gregg Rosenberg

My PGP Public Key can be found at www.greggrosenberg.com/pgp-key.htm

This email and any attachments that are included in it have been scanned for malicious or inappropriate content and are believed to be safe.

NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and please delete it from your computer.