Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 15:01 +0200, Alexander Klimov wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Benson, Sean M wrote:
> > Should you run an anti-virus on linux for non-work issues?
> > (Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. not mail servers.)
>
> Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which
> has infected your linux box? If the answer is no (and I guess this is
> the case) then it is pointless to install an anti-virus for internal
> use.
I've been infected before (ok, not in the last 9 years) and just because
something bad has not happened yet does not mean it never will.
Complacency may eventually harm your security.

This would apply to Linux users just as well:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/01/17/216247

As others have pointed out - clamav has a limited scope and is probably
better suited to mail servers, checking for rootkits is just as
important (if not more).

Antoine