Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 15:01 +0200, Alexander Klimov wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Benson, Sean M wrote:
> > Should you run an anti-virus on linux for non-work issues?
> > (Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. not mail servers.)
> Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which
> has infected your linux box? If the answer is no (and I guess this is
> the case) then it is pointless to install an anti-virus for internal
> use.
I've been infected before (ok, not in the last 9 years) and just because
something bad has not happened yet does not mean it never will.
Complacency may eventually harm your security.

This would apply to Linux users just as well:

As others have pointed out - clamav has a limited scope and is probably
better suited to mail servers, checking for rootkits is just as
important (if not more).

Relevant Pages

  • Re: "Bugbear" virus in Linux?
    ... >> Linux binaries if a system were accidentally booted with the floppy ... but that doesn't mean that the virus author has such ... a common means of propagation of DOS viruses ... BBSes, where they infect floppies, that get passed ...
  • Re: How secure are you
    ... Windows is running and doing whatever it takes to make ... users on Linux is to compromise on this advantage that they now ... So for a virus to propagate from one file to the next is ... > If Windows didn't have this feature, then a virus wouldn't be able to infect ...
  • Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux
    ... most of Windows users are running their home OS with the ... Just tell linux users to ride their ... > If a virus hits a windows box, it is a personal mishap, but one can buy ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
  • Re: virusscanner
    ... Are there good virusscanners for Linux, ... box than you are on a Windows machine. ... email in which the virus was transmitted. ... Log in as root to download the "virus" ...
  • Re: freeware linux virus scanners
    ... Virus scanners don't work by reading the minds behind the code in the ... exists in the Linux world. ... when the security hole is discovered, not when a virus begins to roam. ... OpenOffice documents to turn off all scripting or give it free reins, ...