Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

Not really, totally correct.

If you go to Google and type "Linux+worm", you'll see that an AV for Linux
is not a bad idea nowdays and that you weren't enough informed when you
wrote this reply.

Some example:

Linux.Slapper.Worm

Linux/Lupper.worm.a

Linux.Ramen.Worm

http://news.com.com/New+worm+targets+Linux+systems/2100-7349_3-5938475.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/07/linux_worm/

and I could go on with quoting you links like those....

Moreover, think about the thousands backdoors/trojan for linux that are in
the wild. Think about the famous rootkits which are still around. Maybe an
AV is not the best choice for a Linux system but Snort, tripwire, ethereal
are definitively helpful in keeping your penguin safe.

Cheers

Marco
aka Yog-Sotho

Alexander Klimov
<alserkli@xxxxxxx
u> To
focus-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
18/01/2006 14.01 cc

Subject

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Benson, Sean M wrote:
> Should you run an anti-virus on linux for non-work issues?
> (Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. not mail servers.)

Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which
has infected your linux box? If the answer is no (and I guess this is
the case) then it is pointless to install an anti-virus for internal
use.

--
Regards,
ASK