Re: Begs a question: AV in Linux

Not really, totally correct.

If you go to Google and type "Linux+worm", you'll see that an AV for Linux
is not a bad idea nowdays and that you weren't enough informed when you
wrote this reply.

Some example:

and I could go on with quoting you links like those....

Moreover, think about the thousands backdoors/trojan for linux that are in
the wild. Think about the famous rootkits which are still around. Maybe an
AV is not the best choice for a Linux system but Snort, tripwire, ethereal
are definitively helpful in keeping your penguin safe.

aka Yog-Sotho

Alexander Klimov
u> To
18/01/2006 14.01 cc

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Benson, Sean M wrote:
> Should you run an anti-virus on linux for non-work issues?
> (Just home Workstations, Laptops, etc.. not mail servers.)

Just answer the following question: have you ever seen a virus which
has infected your linux box? If the answer is no (and I guess this is
the case) then it is pointless to install an anti-virus for internal

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Anti-virus software is losing the battle, and the war
    ... Anti-virus software is losing the battle, ... Secure USB keys are not so secure ... I suggest you delete your inferior operating system and install one of the many superior FREE Linux systems. ...
  • Re: Server needs anti-virus?
    ... There are 3-4 other windows 7 computers on the network. ... all of them have anti-virus installed on them ... And what about a general linux desktop computer, ... If you DID install anti-virus and it failed, would it then be YOUR fault? ...
  • antivirus for linux
    ... I'm kinda new to linux, and getting more and more worried about security. ... Do you recommend using an anti-virus software? ... Is there any way for me to detect virus ...
  • Re: Linux Newbie ?: Anti-Virus Software Needed?
    ... >said that anti-virus software for Linux was not necessary, ... your while using a virus checker such as the one being certified by Suse ...
  • Re: A question on protection software
    ... in switching to LINUX.  One of the reasons were the virusus and trojan ... There is plenty of free anti-virus software for Linux. ... errors and may therefore be subject to various attacks. ...