Re: Sendmail/Blacklists rejecting authenticated users

Michael Knox <mikeknox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Quick question regarding dnsbl's... The other day I was in the
> Pittsburgh airport trying to send an email using their free wifi.
> Unsurprisingly this network's ip range is listed on a few of the
> blacklists. This resulted in my mail server rejecting my connection
> when I tried to send some emails. Does anyone know how I can
> configure sendmail/procmail to not check the IP addresses against the
> dnsbls for authenticated users? I have already done a fair amount of
> googling but haven't come up with anything workable,

The easiest way is to run an SMTP server on another port, which does
not use an RBL and only accepts authenticated connections. Good
candidates are 587 (SMTP Submit port) or running SMTPS (SMTP over SSL)
on port 465.

> nor can I think of a good way to test (since I don't have access to
> a blacklisted network).

Most blacklists put 127.0.0.2 on their blacklist for testing, so you
can do:

telnet 127.0.0.2 25

from the server to test.

----Scott.