Re: Sendmail/Blacklists rejecting authenticated users

Michael Knox <mikeknox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Quick question regarding dnsbl's... The other day I was in the
> Pittsburgh airport trying to send an email using their free wifi.
> Unsurprisingly this network's ip range is listed on a few of the
> blacklists. This resulted in my mail server rejecting my connection
> when I tried to send some emails. Does anyone know how I can
> configure sendmail/procmail to not check the IP addresses against the
> dnsbls for authenticated users? I have already done a fair amount of
> googling but haven't come up with anything workable,

The easiest way is to run an SMTP server on another port, which does
not use an RBL and only accepts authenticated connections. Good
candidates are 587 (SMTP Submit port) or running SMTPS (SMTP over SSL)
on port 465.

> nor can I think of a good way to test (since I don't have access to
> a blacklisted network).

Most blacklists put 127.0.0.2 on their blacklist for testing, so you
can do:

telnet 127.0.0.2 25

from the server to test.

----Scott.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Sendmail/Blacklists rejecting authenticated users
    ... This resulted in my mail server rejecting my connection ... >> dnsbls for authenticated users? ... > Most blacklists put 127.0.0.2 on their blacklist for testing, ... your home connection, but that's not too much of a stretch. ...
    (Focus-Linux)
  • Re: HOW in the HELL did they FIND me?
    ... that my proxy is now going to be on proxy blacklists. ... I will ONLY remain on the blacklists as long as I remain on the ... could they find the port for my filtering proxy. ... machines go through the server farm. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: SMTP server for mass email
    ... server being blacklisted. ... listed in RHS blacklists. ... 'MX record for domain pointing to hostname + A record for hostname ... There's a common problem when outbound gateways behind the same ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.smtp_nntp)
  • RE: SpamAssassin-Milter accuracy...
    ... >> And all dialup networks. ... the e-mail message before SA can check it against the blacklists. ... a result the e-mail is never accepted by the server if it's in a blacklist. ... As a result of that if the spam is coming from a compromised mailserver then ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: VERIZONS EMAIL SERVER IN RBL LIST, CANT SEND EMAILS
    ... That server was seen sending spam as recently as the 23rd of June, It SHOULD be on the blacklist! ... removed from the blacklists. ... Remote SMTP server has rejected address ...
    (comp.dcom.xdsl)