Re: Linux hardening

From: Jayson Anderson (sonick_at_sonick.com)
Date: 08/24/05

    To: infosec@norwich.edu
    Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 10:40:14 -0700

    Partially speaking, a good dent can be made by exhaustively culling
    through /etc of course, *.cf and *.conf can help, source code if applies
    to your site, all suid and sgid binaries (Modify:) in addition to a few
    site and host-specific executions of 'find' with the '-anewer',
    '-cnewer' and '-newer' flags primarily. Clever (read: site relevant)
    application of [elapsed] times can result in a couple text files that
    contain well beyond the majority of what will need integrity monitoring
    to some degree. Just need to sit for a spell and give thorough
    consideration to each line entity, with a few follow-up finds as needed.
    The rest is just recollection, critical apps and filesystem awareness in
    general. Add them altogether and that's a good dent in what will need
    monitoring...... 'best practice' and 'defacto' are too small of a
    scope versus host-wide, so thorough hardening and monitoring is almost
    always exhaustive and exhaustING..... at least in my experience where it
    is most critical that mishaps be held down to a minimum.....

    Jayson

    On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 13:04 -0400, Norwich University - Information