Cracking bigcrypt/crypt16 password hashes

From: Stephen Cartwright (034710_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/23/05

    Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:09:44 -0600
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com, security-basics@securityfocus.com

    In order to test the passwords on our system, I have been trying to
    get John the Ripper and Crack to work with bigcrypt/crypt16. Neither
    seems to have support built in for this type of hash and I can't find
    anything in the doc or on the internet that has information on how to
    do this. .

    Does anyone have any suggestions or references to information?

    Many thanks!

    • Re: Decrypt Passwords
      ... it is called brute force. ... John the ripper might help ... If its a good password though it could take a very long time to crack ...
      (RedHat)
    • Win Passwords and John
      ... I have a copy of my WinXP SAM file and I would like to feed it to John ... the Ripper to see if John can crack my passwords. ... SAM file to a format that is readable for John the Ripper. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: How to retrieve old passwords or current password
      ... you can sniff the hashes and use a tool like lc5 or john the ripper to crack them. ... i already have password policies in place however i want ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • [Full-Disclosure] commerical rainbow crack?
      ... I have an md5 hash I need to crack, left john the ripper on it for a few days without success and gave up. ... Are there any commercial organisations that have a huge rainbow crack table that anyone knows of?; I have a feeling this may be a very complex password. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Security - John the Ripper
      ... OpenVMS tries not to keep the original clear-text password around. ... the John The Ripper tool, ... You can't generally use a dictionary attack directly against OpenVMS ...
      (comp.os.vms)