Re: Passwords on Linux systems(for all flavors)

From: Glynn Clements (glynn_at_gclements.plus.com)
Date: 07/11/05

    Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:35:43 +0100
    To: Dwayne Ghant <dghant@temple.edu>

    Dwayne Ghant wrote:

    > What about unicode charectors in passwords.

    A password is a string of bytes, not characters.

    As I wrote previously:

    > However, if a password contains any control characters or non-ASCII
    > (8-bit) characters, there may be problems entering it in certain
    > contexts.

    If a password contains non-ASCII characters, the encoding used when
    entering a password must match the encoding which was used when the
    password was set. E.g. if you set your password from a terminal which
    uses ISO-8859-1, then try to enter it in a GDM dialog which uses
    UTF-8, the password won't be recognised.

    --
    Glynn Clements <glynn@gclements.plus.com>

    • Re: Byte Array to String
      ... retrieved text will mismatch the original characters. ... encoding the characters. ... Dim strFileData as String ...
    • Re: Send string to IP address
      ... "Plain hex" implies something formatted as text, but doesn't answer the question of encoding. ... There's no "just" as far as "an ASCII string" is concerned. ... Characters are not bytes and bytes are not characters. ... Normally you'd create the Writer once at the same time as you create the underlying stream, rather than every time you write some text, obviously. ...
      (comp.lang.java.programmer)
    • Re: Byte Array to String
      ... retrieved text will mismatch the original characters. ... I think VBA may use the default system locale to ... encoding the characters. ... Dim strFileData as String ...
    • Re: Character semantics for filenames (was: win32 reading wide filenames (unicode))
      ... Now file name is stored in utf8 format. ... it doesn't make any difference whether the string is internally ... DO WITH CHARACTERS ABOVE "\xFF". ... encoding to perl strings by readdir and from perl strings to the OS ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • urwid with multi-byte encoded and bidirectional text?
      ... I would like to support whatever encoding the user likes. ... *new* line translation format would have to support characters that are ... N bytes in the string and M columns wide when displayed, ...
      (comp.lang.python)