Re: Passwords on Linux systems(for all flavors)

From: fl.martin (fl.martin_at_oreka.com)
Date: 07/11/05

    Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:18:42 +0200
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    shyaam@gmail.com wrote:
    > Dear Group members/list,
    > I would like to know the place where I can find the linux password constraints for the various linux flavors. What I mean is the details like number of key spaces or the key length, the types of charactors that can be used, the restrictions and the number of times the password can be tried if not infinite, etc. I am in need of these details very urgently, so please do help me on this topic.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
    > Yours Sincerely,
    > R.S.Shyaam Sundhar

    try /etc/login.defs for the number of time one can try to login
    (variables : LOGIN_RETRIES , LOGIN_TIMEOUT , FAIL_DELAY ).
    For the time a password can be used , it's in the same file , with
    PASS_MAX_DAYS , PASS_MIN_DAYS , PASS_WARN_AGE
    The configuration of pam can be useful to.

    • Re: X11 tunnelling issue andlogin security question
      ... example of the configuration od sshd and PAM? ... to further challange a login request after the correct password has been ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] OpenSSH again
      ... A co-worker just forwarded information on to me that a "non-default" ... configuration such as oh.... ... PAM is exploitable by being able to login as ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • RE: using ssh for login authifcation
      ... It does indeed sound like what you have isn't so much an SSH issue as it is ... use of PAM in your SSH configuration altogether. ... I use ssh all the time and I am irritated that I need to first login via my ...
      (SSH)