Re: Passwords on Linux systems(for all flavors)

From: Daniel Carrillo (daniel.carrillo_at_gmail.com)
Date: 07/10/05

    To: shyaam@gmail.com
    Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:49:30 +0200

    El sáb, 09-07-2005 a las 16:12 +0000, shyaam@gmail.com escribió:
    > Dear Group members/list,

    Hi.

    > I would like to know the place where I can find the linux password constraints for the various linux flavors. What I mean is the details like number of key spaces or the key length, the types of charactors that can be used, the restrictions and the number of times the password can be tried if not infinite, etc. I am in need of these details very urgently, so please do help me on this topic.

    The password "mechanism" normally uses Linux-PAM (Pluggable
    Authentication Modules) integration. The constraints that you mention
    can be implemented with some PAM modules.

    See: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam.html

    And specifically:

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/pam-6.html#ss6.3

    Regards.