Re: generalInfo

From: Sean Sullivan (sean_at_sfsullivan.org)
Date: 06/23/05

    Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:57:44 -0400
    To: Jacob Bresciani <jacob@bresciani.ca>

    Hello everybody,

    >>Because of the fact, that there are so many posts related to the Apache Web
    >>Server, I decided to ask you the following question: J
    >>
    >>I'm using Apache on Solaris and I want to make a usage statistics. (Which
    >>files were accessed to day / last moth / last year?)
    >>
    >>Does Apache have any APIs (some kind of performance objects, like the MS Web
    >>server has, so I can easily find those information I need) or do I have to
    >>analyze (parse) the log file?
    >>
    >>In the web I've just found the -log-file-parsing-solution advice.
    >>

    >>Btw., what visualization tool do you recommend me for making graphs out of
    >>the data I get from the Apache log parsing? (So I can use them in a web
    >>page)
    >>

    >>Thanks a lot.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>

    >>Jan Ciesko
    >>Microsoft Student Partner @ FAU - Erlangen
    >>E-Mail: jan.ciesko@informatik.stud.uni-erlangen.de

    I have used both awstats and webalizer. Webalizer is probably more
    secure out of the gate, but awstats creates a nicer stats page and can
    be used securely. I installed it into /usr/local/ and then created a
    script to run via cron job and build a static page twice a day for
    checking stats like:
    ---------------------
    #!/bin/bash

    perl /usr/local/awstats/awstats.pl -config=<your_domain> -update

    perl /usr/local/awstats/awstats.pl -config=<your_domain> -output
    -staticlinks > \
           /root/web/stats.html

    That will build a page (stats.html) in /root/web/ for later viewing. It
    was an easy way around the security concerns I have seen when running
    awstats CGI.

    -Sean