Re: Samba vs NFS

From: Jacob Bresciani (jacob_at_bresciani.ca)
Date: 02/22/05

    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:49:28 -0800

    SMB shares can be made to remount on boot by adding a line to fstab the
    in a similar to adding lines for nfs shares to make them survive a
    reboot.

    i.e
    //pc001/mp3s /import/pc001/mp3s smbfs
    nosuid,nodev,credentials=/etc/auth.smb,uid=<default
    owner>,fmask=600,dmask=700 0 0

    where the /etc/auth.smb is a root owned file chmoded 400 and contains
    the lines:

    username=<your username>
    password=<your password>

    Although this has the obvious problems of:
    1.) everything is owned by a preset owner.
    2.) acl's are ignored for the most part.