Re: Samba vs NFS

From: James Ko (jk.jamesko_at_gmail.com)
Date: 02/22/05

    Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:02:55 -0500
    To: Jennifer Fountain <jfountain@rbinc.com>

    Hi

    nfs is meant for Unix-to-unix file sharing, Samba is primarily for
    Windows-to-Unix/Linux file/print sharing. They serve somewhat
    different purposes.

    As far as security is concerned, both have their own issues. But which
    one to deploy, I guess it all comes down to your business needs. For
    Samba, lookup http://www.samba.org where it has lots of HOWTO and tips
    to follow.
    For nfs, the main thing is to avoid remote root rw access, if you can.

    You might want to set up firewall rules to restrict external access to
    your server. This would greatly reduce the exposure.

    Hope this can help.

    --
    James Ko
    jk.jamesko@gmail.com

    • Samba vs NFS
      ... My company is looking at samba or NFS to allow our clients to access ... shares from their Windows workstations and their linux ssh sessions. ... From a security standpoint, ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Fileserver: Samba or NFS or ?
      ... For backing up WinXP machines to a FreeBSD 5.1 fileserver, ... Especially concerned regarding security. ... Especially interested in if Samba or NFS can be paired with some ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Samba or NFS
      ... Subject: Samba or NFS ... samba and one application server. ... is that one of the security issues the ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Samba or NFS
      (Debian-User)
    • [UNIX] Security Bugfix for Samba (SMB/CIFS Overflow)
      (Securiteam)