Re: Samba vs NFS

From: Luiz Felipe (luiz_at_grupocarvalho.com.br)
Date: 02/22/05

    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:03:15 -0300
    To: Jennifer Fountain <jfountain@rbinc.com>

    Hi Jennifer,

    With NFS, the authentication is performed just by IP address. This
    authentication my may be forged more easily than SMB, which is done by
    login/pass. At this point, SMB is more secure.

    If is not a hard work for you, use a ssh tunnel from clients to server
    using SMB.
    I think it is a quite more secure than pure SMB.

    Regards,
    Luiz Felipe de souza Gomes - luizfox
    Network Administrator

    Jennifer Fountain wrote:

    >Hi all:
    >My company is looking at samba or NFS to allow our clients to access
    >shares from their Windows workstations and their linux ssh sessions.
    >>From a security standpoint, which option is "more" secure? Which option
    >is more vulnerable than the other? Etc, etc ,etc. I appeciate any
    >security information about NFS or samba that you may have.
    >

    >Kind Regards,
    >
    >Jennifer Fountain
    >Systems Administrator
    >R&B Distribution
    >3400 E Walnut Street
    >Colmar, PA 18915
    >

    >.

    • Re: Samba and NFS need some explanations.
      ... SMB, what Samba does, allows you to export stuff to a single user. ... NFS allows you to export stuff for multiple users. ... some info about what do I need to install on each one to get the file ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Filesystem monitoring question
      ... server as a directory. ... A number of SMB and NFS clients, around 30, will need to write to this ... Writing to the directory is 24/7 since some clients VPN into the network ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: Network performance
      ... > I also tried NFS and it was still much slower than Windows. ... > Can you give me any pointers on how to gain faster NFS transfers? ... SMB Client: 11,0MB/s ... NFS clients: 8,7MB/s ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Samba and NFS need some explanations.
      ... SAMBA and NFS? ... SMB, what Samba does, allows you to export stuff to a single user. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Help me replace some Windows installations
      ... >> I thought SMB permissions were based on who mounted the share? ... > NFS is NFS, not SMB. ... >> against OS X's OpenDirectory if I just fill in the appropriate fields in ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)