Re: Samba vs NFS

From: Ryan Nowakowski (tubaman_at_fattuba.com)
Date: 02/22/05

    Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:25:08 -0600
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 05:42:36PM -0500, Jennifer Fountain wrote:
    > Hi all:
    > My company is looking at samba or NFS to allow our clients to access
    > shares from their Windows workstations and their linux ssh sessions.
    > >From a security standpoint, which option is "more" secure? Which option
    > is more vulnerable than the other? Etc, etc ,etc. I appeciate any
    > security information about NFS or samba that you may have.

    You might want to look into OpenAFS[1]. I've heard some good things about
    it recently.

    1. http://www.openafs.org

    - Ryan

    • Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs
      ... >> another NFS server goes away. ... you're reduced to using something like samba as a server ... and the Linux-to-Linux situations? ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Problem setting up NFS on Ubuntu
      ... >>> mount' for vfat mount options. ... >>> exporting vfat via NFS, it's not designed for multiuser systems ... > alike on the FS and use samba to export it to doze clients. ... >> which should make windows client access easier, and does work also from RISC ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: kern.ngroups question
      ... NFS only supports this much by default. ... Samba ... I just had to deal with this limitation and it was quite annoying to say ... unsigned int stamp; ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs
      ... the statement that they'd used both SAMBA and NFS and that SAMBA ... Linux boxes, but if I'm already going to have SAMBA running, what ... if the wife wants Windows, ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Windows NFS client to access Linux (Fedora & Suse) hosts
      ... Larry I Smith wrote: ... >> Windows requirement is temporary, ... Why learn Samba (under pressure to ... when we need to get up to par on nfs anyhow. ...
      (comp.os.linux)