Re: Samba vs NFS

From: alux (alex.baeres_at_chello.at)
Date: 02/22/05

    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:33:12 +0100

    HI,

    neither the one nore the other is statet as "secure", but in case u want to
    share with windows you have to use samba!!!

    from my point of few: you have to install one service thats insecure, why
    install a second one?
    installing nfs would give u more perfomance for unix-clients but adds
    securityholes and u have 2 keep more software uptodate!

    instead of nfs qhy not try afs? should be more secure...

    sorry for my bad english,
    best regards

    Am Donnerstag, 17. Februar 2005 23:42 schrieb Jennifer Fountain:
    > Hi all:
    > My company is looking at samba or NFS to allow our clients to access
    > shares from their Windows workstations and their linux ssh sessions.
    > From a security standpoint, which option is "more" secure? Which option
    > is more vulnerable than the other? Etc, etc ,etc. I appeciate any
    > security information about NFS or samba that you may have.
    >

    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Jennifer Fountain
    > Systems Administrator
    > R&B Distribution
    > 3400 E Walnut Street
    > Colmar, PA 18915

    • Re: Problem setting up NFS on Ubuntu
      ... >>> mount' for vfat mount options. ... >>> exporting vfat via NFS, it's not designed for multiuser systems ... > alike on the FS and use samba to export it to doze clients. ... >> which should make windows client access easier, and does work also from RISC ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: ubuntu to ubuntu file sharing
      ... Just an extra data point in the NFS vs Samba debate, ... initiating an oplock break request from the server to a Windows client ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Windows NFS client to access Linux (Fedora & Suse) hosts
      ... Larry I Smith wrote: ... >> Windows requirement is temporary, ... Why learn Samba (under pressure to ... when we need to get up to par on nfs anyhow. ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Windows NFS client to access Linux (Fedora & Suse) hosts
      ... Larry I Smith wrote: ... >> Windows requirement is temporary, ... Why learn Samba (under pressure to ... when we need to get up to par on nfs anyhow. ...
      (comp.os.linux)
    • Re: [SLE] Duelling SAMBAs
      ... the statement that they'd used both SAMBA and NFS and that SAMBA ... Linux boxes, but if I'm already going to have SAMBA running, what ... if the wife wants Windows, ...
      (SuSE)