Re: Encrypted Filesystems

From: Claudio Merloni (c.merloni_at_securenetwork.it)
Date: 01/25/05

To: Tales Teixeira <gnu4ever@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:12:28 +0100

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 20:11 -0300, Tales Teixeira wrote:
> Dear sirs,
>
> I'm studying about encrypted filesystems and i found a few of then. I
> would like to know more about this in operation systems like Linux
> Debian, Slackware and others "flavors". I'm sorry if this question had
> been answer, but i didn't find.
>
> Sorry for my "Brazilian english"
> :-P
>
> Best Regards,
> Tales Teixeira.

Hi!
Cryptoloop and loop-aes are widely used to encrypt filesystems using
Linux and you should find a lot of info about them. They're both based
on the "loopback" approach.
There is a new kind of approach to filesystem encryption which instead
of loopback devices uses the device mapper.
You can find more info here: http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/
Right now it provides the same features of cryptoloop.
The implementation as of now released should be affected by the same
vulnerabilities that affect cryptoloop. Much development has been done
to solve these issues and the solutions are pretty much ready (look at
the dm-crypt mailing list archive for more info).

Hope you find it useful :)

Bye,
Claudio

--
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.