Re: CAN-2004-1137

From: Foundation Linux (webmaster_at_foundationlinux.com)
Date: 01/05/05

    Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 14:04:56 -0800
    To: hilton de meillon <hiltond@hotpop.com>

    hilton de meillon wrote:

    >Thanks a lot Charles and to all who replied. I will try these solutions and
    >see how I fare.
    >
    >I really need to touch up my TCP/IP or IGMP/IP skills.
    >
    >One question -your iptables statement had two entries - one for inbound igmp
    >and
    >one for outbound igmp, the first rule makes sense but the second one throws
    >me a bit
    >as it is in the INPUT chain and not the OUTPUT chain - is this just a lack
    >in my understanding of iptables ?.
    >
    >Hilton.

    Actually, my example was limited to the INPUT chain but there was one
    for a SOURCE IP (coming from) and a DESTINATION IP (going to)
    224.0.0.0/4. This covers anything coming from a multicast group and
    anything going to your multicast ports, even if they are routed to/from
    non-multicast IP addresses.

    Unless you are running an IGMP daemon or something else that explicitly
    does multicast (or are really paranoid), you shouldn't have to worry
    about the OUTPUT chain.

    Actually, the 224.0.0.0/4 range is not designed to be routed beyond one
    hop. Also, the source and destination routers associate normal IP
    addresses with the packets when routing the packets.

    If you really want to understand IGMP, I suggest getting a copy of
    TCP/IP Illustrated Vol. I (ISBN: 0-201-63346-9). Chapter 13 is IGMP and
    Chapter 12 covers Broadcast & Multicast.

    Good luck.

     Charles Hill

    • Re: Catalyst 3750 how to get multicast packets to go only to group member ports?
      ... All ports are on the same VLAN and are connected to devices ... There is a router attached to one port, ... but no multicast data needs to flow through it. ... I turned on support for IGMP v2 immediate leave ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Multicast question
      ... IT is synchronizing correctly but I cannot get it to multicast on any interface except the systems primary Ethernet interface, ... Multicast routing deamons then run the IGMP and other protocols to ... These packets are replicated to ...
      (comp.protocols.time.ntp)
    • Re: [Linux] Multicast Routing?
      ... > Kann Linux sauber Multicast forwarden und wie wird ... > das igmp gehandelt etc. ... Der richtig kompilierte Kernel und z.B. pimd. ... IP Multicast funktioniert in einer Broadcastdomain out of the box. ...
      (de.comp.os.unix.networking.misc)
    • Multicast inside VLAN
      ... I'm having some issues with multicast flooding our network. ... multilayer switch that is configured to be the multicast ... router and cgmp server. ... The 2950's support IGMP Snooping, ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: data structure for network protocol
      ... This function is to listen the IGMP traffic (mainly Join ... must be added to a list of multicast groups. ... If I understood the IGMP protocol correct you need to perform ... (port number and interface number will probably be part of these keys, ...
      (comp.programming)