Re: *nix data wipe tools

From: George Georgalis (
Date: 12/17/04

    Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:48:33 -0500
    To: David Cannings <>, "Thomas C. Greene" <>

    On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 08:06:07PM +0000, David Cannings wrote:
    >Thomas C. Greene wrote:
    >> I've posted the final versions of a few simple, free shell scripts that i've
    >> been working on to make data hygiene more convenient on *nix systems. Thanks
    >> to list members who helped test them and contributed improvements.
    >Is there any specific advantage of these scripts over bcwipe?

    The introduction indicates it does swap and unused disk space.
    Linux Wipe Tools: Four shell scripts for securely wiping all data from
    the swap partition, wiping unused disk space on the root partition, or
    wiping an entire disk, by Thomas C. Greene.
    The BCWipe software is intended to give you a confidence that your
    deleted files cannot be recovered by an intruder. BCWipe repeatedly
    overwrites special patterns to the files to be destroyed.

    // George

    George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE cell:646-331-2027