Re: which distribution to choose

From: Josep L. Guallar-Esteve (guallar_at_easternrad.com)
Date: 12/06/04

    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:37:47 -0500

    On Friday 03 December 2004 12:36, Bob Jones wrote:
    > I can only vouch for 2 distributions that are new and have good
    > community support and updates. Fedora Core 3 (http://fedora.redhat.com)
    > downloadable at
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/

    I only have a minor grip with Fedora. Fedora's lifecycle is too short (in my
    opinion) to be considered as a 'production' system. Fedora's lifecycle is
    between 9 and 12 months.

    > and Mandrake 10.1 Community Edition available at
    > http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3#10.1c.

    I would recomend go with the Official version of MandrakeLinux 10.1. Do a
    network install using the mini-iso (8MB) available in any mirror, like this
    one:

    ftp://ftp.proxad.net/pub/Distributions_Linux/Mandrake/official/10.1/i586/install/images/boot.iso

    > A good firewall package
    > that works very well (at least it does for me on the 4 systems I
    > administer) is Firestarter available at http://www.fs-security.com. For
    > ipsec vpn serving, look at Freeswan at http://www.freeswan.org.

    On Mandrake you can use Shorewall (is aprt of the distro) to set up a firewall
    quite easily: http://www.shorewall.net/

    > Fedora Core 3 comes pre-configured to run SELinux in enforced mode (will
    > deny access rather than just warn of a problem) for enhanced security.
    > Both of these distributions can be setup with the apps you are seeking
    > (apache/squid for proxy, iptables with or without the firestarter
    > enhancements and interface, tripwire, openVPN/Freeswan) quite easily.

    > Additionally, both distributions support both a manual and an automatic
    > update system -- manually with up2date and automatic with the yum daemon
    > for FC3 and either a manual or scripted/CRON'ed urmpi command for Mandrake.

    If you know Debian, yum and urpmi are apt-get-like tools.

    Regards,
    Josep

    --
    Josep L. Guallar-Esteve		Eastern Radiologists, Inc.
    Systems and PACS Administration  http://www.easternrad.com

    • Re: TellyGuide - Free UK TV on your PDA
      ... > Mandrake or SuSe aren't any less significant than Redhat. ... Ahem - RH has around a 50% market share in Linux distributions by servers ... Mandrake, SuSe et al don't come anywhere close. ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
    • Re: BIOS problems?
      ... > non-standard hardware distributions, especially on laptop. ... > due to patches and bug-fixes to support the last few years of hardware. ... Ultimately I want to install Mandrake, ... I'm going to try the text based installation of Mandrake. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: My suggestion...
      ... from a year earlier was an easier and more reliable install. ... and should be releasing in the next few days. ... Must have been a while ago - the Mandrake release is about a year old. ... hundreds of Linux distributions, ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: The Beginning Of The End For Micro$oft Reign Of Terror
      ... >LINUX is going nowhere on the desktop. ... Distributions like Mandrake are to the point now where the "out of the ... YMMV, of course. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • (no subject)