Re: which distribution to choose

From: Josep L. Guallar-Esteve (guallar_at_easternrad.com)
Date: 12/08/04

    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:53:39 -0500

    On Friday 03 December 2004 14:31, Paul A. Sumner wrote:
    > An advantage of Gentoo other some others is that it will give you easy
    > customization to your specific needs.

    One disadvantage: you have to compile absolutely everything. As a result of
    this, when (not 'if') a security advisory hits Gentoo, you will loose
    precious time compiling the new sources.

    Another: you will need to leave compiling tools in that machine. For a edge of
    the network machine, this is a bad idea. If your firewall gets compromised,
    the attacker will have tools readily available to compile his/her malware and
    create havoc in your network.

    And , of course, the 'easy customization' is a long and tedious process.

    Gentoo is all right if:

    a) your time costs nothing
    b) you can use "overkill hardware" for a firewall
    c) you like to boast 'I compiled my server'
    d) you don't mind downtime
    e) you have a competent QA team

    Regards,
    Josep

    --
    Josep L. Guallar-Esteve		Eastern Radiologists, Inc.
    Systems and PACS Administration  http://www.easternrad.com

    • [kde] Re: plasma-desktop (KDE factory) acting up?
      ... While your customization is rather different than mine, ... Maybe:) I'm using Gentoo for about 8 years now. ... and I don't have problems with various installer bugs/problems I seem to ... 3/4 of my total memory. ...
      (KDE)
    • Re: Suggestions Invited
      ... I was once a Gentoo fan for its emerge and quick releases, ... Debian is all about being easy to get up and keep up. ... > having to compile every little obscure library for a point update. ... > about dependencies making an upgrade of gnome or kde nearly impossible. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Gentooised Ubuntu
      ... experiences with Gentoo are limited. ... You need enough of a system in place that can compile the rest. ... compiled at the beginning since you didn't have any operating system ... Any distribution goes through this, ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: PATCH [0/3]: Simplify the kernel build by removing perl.
      ... I was always able to compile ... The gentoo panel last OLS. ... These are the packages that would be merged, ... All ebuilds that could satisfy "openoffice" have been masked. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: USE flags ??
      ... > dont get me wrong i use to be die hard debian because of apt-get but i ... > compared the two on two separate mail servers, ... > almost a week watching it compile. ... Typical gentoo idiot. ...
      (Debian-User)