Re: which distribution to choose

From: Josep L. Guallar-Esteve (guallar_at_easternrad.com)
Date: 12/08/04

    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:53:39 -0500

    On Friday 03 December 2004 14:31, Paul A. Sumner wrote:
    > An advantage of Gentoo other some others is that it will give you easy
    > customization to your specific needs.

    One disadvantage: you have to compile absolutely everything. As a result of
    this, when (not 'if') a security advisory hits Gentoo, you will loose
    precious time compiling the new sources.

    Another: you will need to leave compiling tools in that machine. For a edge of
    the network machine, this is a bad idea. If your firewall gets compromised,
    the attacker will have tools readily available to compile his/her malware and
    create havoc in your network.

    And , of course, the 'easy customization' is a long and tedious process.

    Gentoo is all right if:

    a) your time costs nothing
    b) you can use "overkill hardware" for a firewall
    c) you like to boast 'I compiled my server'
    d) you don't mind downtime
    e) you have a competent QA team

    Regards,
    Josep

    --
    Josep L. Guallar-Esteve		Eastern Radiologists, Inc.
    Systems and PACS Administration  http://www.easternrad.com