Re: which distribution to choose

From: Christian Sahm (security_at_saweso.com)
Date: 12/03/04

    Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 20:33:41 +0100
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    Jochen Witte schrieb:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to set up a firewall to protect a small company network. What
    > I would like to have is some kind of VPN solution (OpenVPN and ipsec),
    > iptables firewalling and a secure distribution with some additional
    > sec-related sofware (tripwire etc.). Also I need to run an Apache for
    > proxy-requests.
    >
    > My question is, which distribution to choose for such a
    > setup. I would prefer a standard distribution for easy updates and
    > community support. A specific "security-enhanced" distribution would do it
    > also, if it is not too "pure" :)
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Regards
    > Jochen

    Hi Jochen,

    I suggest to have a look on Adamantix. It's a Debian-based,
    security-enhancend distribution. It's only as pure as a basic Debian.
    Just visit www.adamantix.org and let them show you why Adamantix can
    convince you. I was very impressed and after some month having a
    Adamantix box running, I'm convinced about its security and stability.

    Just my two cents.

    Regards, Christian

    • Re: Security built in distribution
      ... > Are these distribution really secure to make a firewall and run some web ... The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, ... the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Linux box as firewall
      ... I agree a firewall should not have installed services ... > distribution with which you don't install much crap ... Do You Yahoo!? ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: Fedora Core 4 setup as nat
      ... you can filter (firewall) and NAT all within a nice GUI. ... configuration but there is no GUI to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and therefore ... Now, if routing is your goal, you might want to look at something else ... before using it into their business class distribution. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: CD based Fw or not?
      ... > CD based Firewalls with a config floppy disc or a hardend linux ... fearing intruders and manipulation of your firewall implementation. ... Or any distribution, ... And a generic proxy like rinted to proxy requests like ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Buffer overflow prevention
      ... > I see no real reason why the major Linux companies are not using it for ... but the Adamantix distribution is a step in the right ...
      (Bugtraq)