Re: which distribution to choose

From: Martin Glazer (securityfocus_at_glazer.ca)
Date: 12/03/04

    Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:59:22 -0700
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    Hi,

    Two recommendations, depending on your level knowledge and how hands on you
    want to get. Well, actually three, because you can always build one yourself
    from scratch :-)

    First, I would recommend taking a look at Devil Linux (www.devil-linux.org).
    It was designed as a firewall/router but now also contains some server
    applications. It boots and runs from CDROM and uses a diskette or USB pen
    drive for configuration storage. No hard drive is required (although one can
    be used) and it provides the functionality you are looking for.

    There is an active and helpful support community but if needed, commercial
    support is also available.

    Second, If you prefer a distribution you can install with a decent web based
    interface, I would look at IPCop (www.ipcop.org).

    HTH

    Martin