Re: which distribution to choose

From: BlueRaven (blue_at_ravenconsulting.it)
Date: 12/03/04

    Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:52:50 +0100
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    Il giorno 02/dic/04, alle 17:31, Jochen Witte ha scritto:

    > I would like to set up a firewall to protect a small company network.
    > What
    > I would like to have is some kind of VPN solution (OpenVPN and ipsec),
    > iptables firewalling and a secure distribution with some additional
    > sec-related sofware (tripwire etc.). Also I need to run an Apache for
    > proxy-requests.

    You could try SmoothWall or IPCop:

    http://www.smoothwall.org
    http://www.ipcop.org

    They both have more or less the same functionalities and work very well
    for small network contexts.
    My favour goes to IPCop, but SmoothWall is also good.

    --
    BlueRaven
    Microsoft and security. Sounds a bit stupid in one sentence.

    • Re: Smoothwall vs IPcop
      ... Hard to learn but easy to manage but then IPCOP and Smoothwall ... commercial use iptables). ... chris at lowth dot sea oh em. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: IPCop or SmoothWall? Which Is/Will Be Active?
      ... >>I wanted to know if the SmoothWall Freebie version is dead based ... >>version left off, IPCop picked it up. ... > SmoothWall GPL is far from being dead, ... the GPL version 0.99 has still been patched/fixed and there ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Smoothwall
      ... > So you would recommend IPcop over Smoothwall then? ... Definately IPCop ... With SmoothWall you can install the patches and it ... Outgoing mail has been scanned for virus infection and, to the best of my knowledge, is Virus Free. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Linux Router with Firewall
      ... >> cares to point out where these fees are mentioned, ... > I've never configured ipcop, but you've sparked my curiosity about how ... > it compares to smoothwall in terms of ease of administration. ... reason for the idea of a GPL Linux Firewall Distribution of such ...
      (Fedora)