Re: Idle session logout

From: Andy Smith (wasmith32_at_comcast.net)
Date: 10/25/04

    Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 23:08:02 -0500
    To: "Sanjeev B.S." <sanjeev@mbu.iisc.ernet.in>

    Sanjeev B.S. wrote:
    >>try to set TMOUT=<seconds> in /etc/profile.
    >

    > TMOUT works only for bash shell users, isn't it? May be running a simple
    > shell script with kill -9 that checks with 'finger foo', grepping idle
    > time, might be a good idea. First get the pts, say 'pts/2', then check it
    > with ps -ef | grep 'pts/2'. Then decide whether to for logout.

    This solution would require the finger deamon to be running which just
    opens another can of security worms :-) A better fix would probably be a
    replacement for the idled app. There are several from what I can see on
    Google. It may even be possible to compile idled from source on the
    current system.

    Regards,
    Andy