Re: iptables & tcp wrappers

From: George Theall (theall_at_tifaware.com)
Date: 10/06/04

    Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:48:58 -0400
    To: Matthew Baker <m@netgates.co.uk>

    On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 06:26:55PM +0100, Matthew Baker wrote:

    > What it does is monitor the output from auth logs (using
    > swatch) and takes the IP addresses of failed/invalid attempts and
    > records the number of attempts made from that IP in a database file.
    > Then when the counter goes above a configured threshold (which can be
    > different for a single host or CIDR network) the IP is inserted as a
    > DROP rule into custom chain using IPtables.

    I wrote a more generalized version of this:
    <http://www.tifaware.com/perl/log-guardian/>. It's a Perl script,
    freely available, that monitors one or more logs for patterns. As
    matches are found, the script reacts by running blocks of Perl code.
    The patterns and code can be pretty much whatever you want, which makes
    the script very flexible. I use it to monitor logs and drop traffic
    from hosts responsible for troublesome behaviour with iptables rules.

    George

    --
    theall@tifaware.com

    • Re: Another noobie question about perl on Windows - perl running in background
      ... express IDE to write a small perl code. ... Closing the editor doesn't sound like a good start since the editor and ... the running script would be 2 distinct but related processes. ... In Unix the standard Ctrl-C ...
      (perl.beginners)
    • Isolate lines in a text file and perform replacement
      ... I developed a shell script for renaming my mp3 files. ... Perl and regular expressions to normalize the file names. ... applying these regex patterns to playlist and xml files. ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Why is my regex so slow?
      ... I've got a script I'm using to search through a list of Wikipedia ... article titles to find ones that match certain patterns. ... seems to matter where the regex pattern came from: ... chomp $target; ...
      (perl.beginners)
    • Re: Generated javascript from .pl files
      ... simplified version of the Perl code: ... code isn't executing. ... so the `script' element ... This will cause .js files to be executed as CGI script, ...
      (comp.lang.javascript)
    • Re: PHP web design patterns
      ... the html pages being the view and the processing script ... and some guidelines from "Database Design for Mere Mortals," which I ... pointers on other suitable patterns, that will cover both web & database? ...
      (alt.php)