RE: Network "Change Management"

From: Jose Hidalgo Herrera (jose_at_hostarica.com)
Date: 09/17/04

    To: Evan Pierce <evan@pierce.co.za>
    Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:19:44 -0600

    You can restrict DHCP to an allowed list of MAC addresses, but what
    about the laptops using random IP addresses?, you can know that is the
    gateway or DNS just sniffing the network, getting broadcast packages.

    Even if you restrict your DHCP to an allowed list of MACs you will need
    to monitor the activity, I recommend using arpwatch on the
    gateway/firewall, and restrict as much as posible on your firewall.

    --
    Jose Hidalgo
    PGP: 15524480
    jose at hostarica.com
    http://www.hostarica.com

    • Re: Cant Access ANY url from python (errno 61)
      ... my mac's MAC address is different from the MAC address shown ... wireless router at his apartment. ... restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: Cant Access ANY url from python (errno 61)
      ... my mac's MAC address is different from the MAC address shown ... wireless router at his apartment. ... restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • RE: Network "Change Management"
      ... Why not rather restrict DHCP to an allowed list of MAC addresses? ... specific port onto a specific MAC address or if you have too many users that ... Cisco switches and alert admins as to when a new device has been plugged in? ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: DHCP security
      ... is there some way to restrict traffic to only those assigned IPs ... (through DHCP) ... You can usually arrange to restrict machine that connect to only those with ... around by someone clever they would need to spoof the known MAC address of one ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Restrict DHCP address to domain computers ONLY???
      ... You may be able to configure your switch to lock each port ... to a specific MAC, in turn this would restrict a new machine from plugging ... > assignment somehow be restricted to MAC address (maybe through group ...