Re: rooted ?

From: Coleman (cokane_at_cokane.org)
Date: 09/10/04

    To: Jason Rusch <kerberos_daemon@infosec-rusch.com>
    Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:40:45 -0400

    I have found that chkrootkit can cause some false positives with this
    check alot. Basically this check takes the output of ps (or whatever
    means it uses to determine running procs) and compares that with what it
    sees in /proc/. If it finds any discrepencies, it dumps that info to
    you, and I suppose the claim that there may be an LKM rootkit installed
    is because that is a common way to hide processes, installing an LKM to
    modify the kernel structs. I have a high-traffic mailserver which
    constantly has quickly dying/starting procs for mail delivery (qmail),
    it causes this error much of the time.