Re: How to make a core dump?

From: Scott Gifford (sgifford_at_suspectclass.com)
Date: 09/05/04

    To: Alexander Morozov <amorozov@pisem.net>
    Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 02:53:23 -0400

    Alexander Morozov <amorozov@pisem.net> writes:

    [...]

    > it would be helpful to make its core dump, but i couldn't figure out
    > how to do this.

    On my Fedora Core 2 system, SIGABRT and SIGSEGV both cause a process
    to dump core, but by default the system is configured to prohibit
    coredumps (ulimit -c 0). If I increase these limits before starting
    the process I want to get a coredump from (ulimit -c 10000000) I get
    the dumps fine. This assumes the process you want to get a dump from
    isn't intercepting SIGABRT or SIGSEGV.

    If you can't set the limits beforehand, you might be able to attach
    with gdb, use setrlimit to eliminate the coredump restriction, then
    send an ABRT or SEGV signal.

    ----ScottG.