Re: How to make a core dump?

From: Scott Gifford (sgifford_at_suspectclass.com)
Date: 09/05/04

    To: Alexander Morozov <amorozov@pisem.net>
    Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 02:53:23 -0400

    Alexander Morozov <amorozov@pisem.net> writes:

    [...]

    > it would be helpful to make its core dump, but i couldn't figure out
    > how to do this.

    On my Fedora Core 2 system, SIGABRT and SIGSEGV both cause a process
    to dump core, but by default the system is configured to prohibit
    coredumps (ulimit -c 0). If I increase these limits before starting
    the process I want to get a coredump from (ulimit -c 10000000) I get
    the dumps fine. This assumes the process you want to get a dump from
    isn't intercepting SIGABRT or SIGSEGV.

    If you can't set the limits beforehand, you might be able to attach
    with gdb, use setrlimit to eliminate the coredump restriction, then
    send an ABRT or SEGV signal.

    ----ScottG.

    • Re: fedora core 5 test3 anaconda dump
      ... I don't know it this list is the right place but while trying to install ... fedora core 5 test3 I get following dump (By the way full dump can be ... InstallInterface instance has no attribute 'dispatch' ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: What backup method(s) do you use?
      ... the one which ships with Fedora Core is the GNU/Free ... GNU is not Linux. ... Looking at the dump manpage and at the project on Sourceforge, ... the GNU project mentioned. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Dump and filesystem types
      ... I am about to upgrade from Fedora Core 8 to Fedora Core 12. ... Now I happen to have ext3 on my Fedora Core 8 machine so I ... assume I can dump OK. ... Now will Fedora Core 12 default to ext4 file systems? ...
      (Fedora)
    • dump dumping core
      ... DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch ... DUMP: SIGSEGV: ABORTING! ... GNU gdb 6.1.1 ...
      (freebsd-stable)