Re: Reverse SSH tunelling

From: Kyle Maxwell (krmaxwell_at_gmail.com)
Date: 08/27/04

    Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:09:14 -0500
    To: Raistlin Majere <raistlin@majere.net>

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:50:54 -0400, Raistlin Majere <raistlin@majere.net> wrote:
    > I need some advice .. I have a situation where about fifty servers will
    > be located in fifty sites that cannot allow services to be hosted. These
    > servers will be in private network space behind firewalls. I can use
    > them to 'scp' files out to a common home base server, but sometimes I
    > need to access a command line console on these servers. I am thinking of
    > having a hourly cron job ssh out to my home base server and leaving that
    > tunnel open so that I can access that console, but am looking for the
    > specific way of doing this. Security os pf the utmost concern, so I need
    > some sort of encrypted tunnel, hence the thought of ssh, but I don't
    > know how to do this 'reverse' tunnel... I was also thinking of a 'free
    > swan' vpn tunnel ..

    Look at something like
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/05/29/netcat.html or Google
    for "reverse netcat" and similar. You can still tunnel through ssh or
    use cryptcat for security.

    --
    Kyle Maxwell
    [krmaxwell@gmail.com]

    • dmz security policy - ssh through jump server
      ... changes to how people/processes access servers within the DMZ. ... From there you could then ssh wherever you need to ... to setup the ssh tunnels or a set of scripts run by the same user step ... Back to the original point of this post, what is the added security to ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Reverse SSH tunelling
      ... > servers will be in private network space behind firewalls. ... > tunnel open so that I can access that console, ... > some sort of encrypted tunnel, hence the thought of ssh, but I don't ... port 5000, any connections made to that port forward to host 127.0.0.1 ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: [SLE] Tightening default SUSE Linux security
      ... I would like to discuss possibilities to improve default SUSE Linux security. ... Talking about servers, sitting in server farm with controlled physical ... add a non root user and disable ssh login as root. ... your servers (for instance for mysql it would mean disabling remote ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Reverse SSH tunelling
      ... I've done a lot ssh-tunneling (back an forth, ... the the needed ports is better than to allow all ports, ... Furthermore to implement a persistent server-to-server tunnel, ... >>servers will be in private network space behind firewalls. ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: AD in Remote site not responding when VPN tunnel is down
      ... All DCs in a Domain or Forest depend on each other to some degree. ... > I built a site to site VPN tunnel between the two ASAs. ... > Then promoted two servers at the remote site to ADs, ...