Reverse SSH tunelling

From: Raistlin Majere (raistlin_at_majere.net)
Date: 08/26/04

    Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:50:54 -0400
    To: "focus-linux@securityfocus.com" <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>

    Hi All,

            I need some advice .. I have a situation where about fifty servers will
    be located in fifty sites that cannot allow services to be hosted. These
    servers will be in private network space behind firewalls. I can use
    them to 'scp' files out to a common home base server, but sometimes I
    need to access a command line console on these servers. I am thinking of
    having a hourly cron job ssh out to my home base server and leaving that
    tunnel open so that I can access that console, but am looking for the
    specific way of doing this. Security os pf the utmost concern, so I need
    some sort of encrypted tunnel, hence the thought of ssh, but I don't
    know how to do this 'reverse' tunnel... I was also thinking of a 'free
    swan' vpn tunnel ..

    Thanks

    Raist