Re: Attempts to push spam through apache

From: David Benfell (benfell_at_parts-unknown.org)
Date: 08/23/04

    Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 23:02:59 -0700
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:51:47 -0500, Gabriel Orozco wrote:

    > I know there are other, newer apache versions, but SuSE doesn't have them. I
    > disabled apache until the client authorizes the fix proposed (upgrade from
    > sources).

    SuSE, and other distributors, commonly preserve the version number of
    software even as they patch the versions they offer to fix
    vulnerabilities. It's a headache because it means you have to look at
    their README files and other documentation to see if they've fixed the
    vulnerabilities you're looking for.

    But apparently, it avoids breaking their package management systems.

    --
    David Benfell, LCP
    benfell@parts-unknown.org

    • Re: Help! New to Linux (Suse)
      ... SuSE 7.3 is no longer supported, ... vulnerabilities will no longer be addressed by updates and bugfixes ... which should work well using a broadband connection. ... > in Suse or do I swith to using an ethernet link for the modem? ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • CAN-2004-1137
      ... Ubuntu, Redhat, SuSe have updated kernels but pretty much all the rest do ... not have an updated kernel for this issue. ... exploits one of the non-networked vulnerabilities as according to secfocus ... Lastly I would have to say that this is a bit of a shocker for the linux ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • [SLE] Hard Drive copy
      ... copy of everything on the HDD, regardless) ... SUSE - 1,000 Possibilities, not 1,000 Vulnerabilities ...
      (SuSE)