Re: Attempts to push spam through apache

From: Andy Smith (
Date: 08/22/04

    Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:36:07 -0500
    To: "Peter H. Lemieux" <>

    If the machine was compromised once then it is likely published
    somewhere...if you are lucky. If you are not lucky then someone has
    managed to install something more stealthy and evil than an IRC proxy.
    Taking the machine down to bare metal might not be a bad idea. If at all
    possible change the IP and DNS names whether it is nuked and paved over
    or not. The log entries could mean nothing, or they could mean something
    nasty is lurking on the box. IMHO you have to assume the latter.

    Peter H. Lemieux wrote:
    > My apache logs are recently full of entries like these:
    > - - [19/Aug/2004:21:03:48 -0400] "CONNECT
    > HTTP/1.0" 200 1844
    > Obviously this is an effort to pump spam through my server to
    > There are many other target addresses as well.
    > If I telnet to port 80 and enter the HTTP command
    > CONNECT HTTP/1.0
    > the server replies with the 1844-byte home page of this site, as
    > indicated by the "200 1844" part of the log entry. As far as I can
    > tell, this means that these exploit attempts only get a web page in
    > reply and are not able to push the spam through to the intended target.
    > I don't have mod_proxy enabled or anything else that would enable
    > proxying to work. Are these just random spammer attempts to find an
    > open proxy? The fact that there are nearly 35,000 (!) such entries over
    > the past few days suggests that the spammer, or the spammer's software,
    > thinks this exploit is succeeding. How can I be sure that it's not?
    > I've blocked the subnet for now, but I'd like to be
    > certain that others can't use the same exploit. I tried a variety of
    > Google searches but haven't found a useful page to read on this subject.
    > Some months ago someone used the recent mod_ssl vulnerability and
    > managed to install an IRC proxy on this server. However I fixed those
    > problems at the time, and there's no evidence that any unauthorized
    > programs, e.g., proxies, are now running. (No, there are no rootkits
    > installed, nor is the ps binary compromised, etc. I'm well aware of
    > such possibilities.) Perhaps the machine was just added to a list of
    > potentially vulnerable servers, and someone else is trying to take
    > advantage of me, even though it's no longer possible?
    > FWIW, I'm running Apache 1.3.27 on RedHat 7.3, but I'd guess these types
    > of exploits only work if there is an open http proxy available, no?
    > Peter

    Andy Smith, MCP