Re: Access control for a NFS server

From: Symen Mulders (muldersb_at_plattsburgh.edu)
Date: 07/20/04

    Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:07:44 -0400
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    I currently use iptables to filter by MAC address on my NFS server.
    This isn't foolproof, as it's possible to spoof a MAC, but it works fine
    for me as users don't have easy access to the network jacks.

    I suppose you could probably tunnel NFS over SSH as well, I've always
    wanted to try it, but I haven't had time.

    Tobias Edler wrote:
    > Hi !
    > As i read a lot of competent postings on this list, maybe one of you can
    > adwise me on this qustion.
    >
    > How can i make sure nobody unplugs a worstation, plugs in a laptop, uses
    > the workstation's MAC, mounts /home from the nfs server, and does evil
    > things to the homedirs ?
    > Like, verify some hostkey or something ?
    >
    > Regards, Tobias

    | Symen Mulders                   | muldersb AT plattsburgh DOT edu |
    | Programmer/Analyst              | Voice: 1.518.564.4433           |
    | Plattsburgh State University    | FAX: 1.518.564.2442             |
       "Unprovided with original learning, unformed in the habits of
       thinking, unskilled in the arts of composition, I resolved to
       write a book."
                                         -- Edward Gibbon
       "The plural of anecdote is not data."
                                         -- Frank Kotsonis

    • Re: VMS to OS X file sharing
      ... > ROUND 1. ... > I tried setting up the Mac as an NFS server following the instructions ... > but the vms side always got a protection violation trying to write to ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: NFS Startup error ?
      ... The NFS server in Multinet will work with MacOS, but you have to force the Mac to use an older protocol. ... I use it as both server and client between Mac OS X and VMS. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • How to change the FSINFO for nfsd?
      ... Currently a gentoo linux server is used as a nfs server for some Mac OS ... These Mac OS X clients are doing video editing. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: How to change the FSINFO for nfsd?