Re: Certifying a RedHat Install

From: Eric Gunnett (eric_at_zoovy.com)
Date: 07/15/04

    Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:15:56 -0700
    To: <abe@abeowitz.com>, <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>

            Out it in writing that you did not install any back doors. Have them hire an independant auditor to verify this. Sounds to me like they just do not trust you, and at that point there is not much you can say to them in order for them to believe you have not installed any backdoors.

    Eric Gunnett
    System Administrator

    >>> abe <abe@abeowitz.com> 07/14/04 01:42PM >>>
    Thanks for everyone's answers so far, but perhaps I need to restate my question...

    >>>What can I do to assure my customer that I have installed no back doors for
    myself.<<<

    rpm -Va will check the size, date & permissions of all rpm installed files. I
    don't know if it will do an md5 or similar. But such a command would be a quick
    integrity test, yes?

    md5's of most of the system will allow direct comparisons with a known good RH9
    install.

    I have to use RH9 as the application they need only works on RH9. Otherwise,
    yes I'd've installed a more current version or different flavor...

    Thanks!

    -Abe

    • Re: APT
      ... >> Is there an RPM somewhere for apt for RH9? ... >> I want to install a compiler. ...
      (linux.redhat.misc)
    • Re: Certifying a RedHat Install
      ... rpm -Va will check the size, date & permissions of all rpm installed files. ... install. ... I have to use RH9 as the application they need only works on RH9. ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Upgrading XFree86-lib on RH9 to 4.3.0-2 or better
      ... First it is great to see an active Linux group that actually discusses ... RH9 works pretty well on it. ... I'm trying to upgrade the XFree86-libs on it so that I can install ... I've downloded the XFree86-libs 4.3.0-2 rpm, ...
      (alt.os.linux.redhat)
    • Re: rpmbuild
      ... I would say there is a bug with the rpm. ... > What about rpmbuild for Mandrake, ... Then you either did not install it or you attempted to install a version ... Manadrake is for Mandrake not RH9 and may not work. ...
      (linux.redhat.install)
    • Re: rsync progress
      ... rpm was also installed. ... I don't think you /can/ install rpm on Ubuntu. ... Package management systems are one of the deepest divides between Linux distros. ... The first distro, pretty much, was the Softlanding Linux System, SLS. ...
      (Ubuntu)