Visited by a cracker

From: Per Christian B. Viken (perchr_at_angryadmin.net)
Date: 07/16/04

    To: <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:18:50 +0200

    Okay.
    Thanks for all the good tips.

    This wasn't a production server at all, seems that I've been unclear on
    that.
    It was simply a testing-server for my friend, where he tried out Linux, and
    gave shellaccounts to other friends.
    But, ofcourse, he had to give out shells to those who offered him something
    in return. Without thinking about what might happen.

    So, I'll talk to him about perhaps formatting later, since he also has been
    complaining about random reboots. And this time I'm sure he'll not be so
    willing to give out accounts.
    Also he might be interested in some security.

    If you look on the bright side, he probably has learnt not to trust anyone.
    Too bad he had to learn it the hard way

                           _
    ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
     - against HTML email X
                 & vCards / \

    • Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu
      ... While some say that Ubuntu, ... Do you want to recommend that to a friend that needs ... linux last June/July. ... FC5 might not be the distro for grandma, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Microsofts Martin Taylor: A Desperate Man
      ... > a linux pre-load, or had a friend build them a computer, and install ... > horrible windows machine that crashes all the time, ...
      (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
    • Re: Switching a friend to Ubuntu
      ... more computer-literate compared to your friend, ... I would switch to Linux. ... distro you friend will choose. ... friend to start his Linux experience with a distro with some KDE based ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Linux is a waste of time. It sucks!
      ... Dear friend whose ancestors repelled the foreign invaders from the ... Linux neither feeds you nor starves you; ... the third time) installed Mandrake 9.1. ... I downloaded the necessary drivers, copied them to a cd then tried ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Good Ubuntu hardware?
      ... tried a setup like this and if it was really Linux friendly. ... it is for a friend with no computer experience.) ... Your friend wants to use Gimp ...
      (Ubuntu)