Re: Visited by a cracker

From: Godwin Stewart (gstewart_at_spamcop.net)
Date: 07/12/04

    Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:48:11 +0200
    To: "Per Christian B. Viken" <perchr@angryadmin.net>

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 16:45:09 +0200, "Per Christian B. Viken"
    <perchr@angryadmin.net> wrote:

    > And should I try to find this guy? Or is it
    > probably hopeless?

    Does anything in the logs remain, which might give an indication where the
    perp connected from? This is, of course, always assuming s/he didn't connect
    through a hijacked open proxy.

    As far as the malicious code is concerned, there's not much you can do.
    Telefonica de Espaņa, Romanian ISPs and Kornet (220.88.27.11) all have a
    long and sorry history of ignoring abuse complaints (google for them in
    news.admin.net-abuse.email for example).

    This said, your first course of action should be figuring out how the box
    was cracked in the first place and locking it down rather than going after
    someone who got in.

    --
    G. Stewart   --   gstewart@bonivet.net -- gstewart@spamcop.net
    Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.7-em8300)

    • Re: Need to jazz up this dish
      ... Okay, first thing, I'd serve a pasta as a first course, and the fish as ... Rather than using 1/4 cup dry white wine, ...
      (rec.food.cooking)
    • Re: fish have died randomly
      ... I assume testing the water would be the first course of ... I would also suspect those newly introduced fish. ... parasites, whether I suspected any or not, the deaths stopped. ...
      (rec.ponds)
    • Re: Worms in flounder
      ... I guess I want to know if this is normal for fish or an indication that something is wrong? ... my boyfriend asked the guy working at the fish counter about the worms. ... He said he picks worms out of the fish they sell at the store. ...
      (rec.food.cooking)
    • Worms in flounder
      ... Tonight my boyfriend was preparing some flounder for dinner and found ... I guess I want to know if this is normal for fish or an indication that something is wrong? ...
      (rec.food.cooking)