Re: Weird!

alejandro.flores_at_triforsec.com.br
Date: 07/06/04

    Date: Tue,  6 Jul 2004 13:47:05 -0300
    To: "Kostas K" <acezerocool@yahoo.com>

        Hello,

    On July 5, 7:22 pm Kostas K <acezerocool@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC= SRC=xxx.xx.xxx.xxx DST=aa.aaa.aaa.aaa LEN=76
    > TOS=0x18 PREC=0x20 TTL=45 ID=56552 PROTO=ICMP TYPE=3 CODE=1
    > [SRC=aa.aaa.aaa.aaa DST=192.168.1.100 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=109
    > ID=16249 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1730 DPT=4662 WINDOW=16384 RES=0x00 SYN
    > URGP=0 ]

    ICMP type 3 CODE 1 = ICMP Host Unreachable
    Ping is just one type of ICMP (Echo Request)
    This log means that probably one host inside your network tried to reach a
    server that is down, and the router next this server is telling that you
    can't get there. The way it tells you is via ICMP Destination Host
    Unreachable, or ICMP Type 3 Code 1.

    Regards,
    Alejandro Flores

    > I get some weird logs from iptables. Someone is trying to ping (using
    > a c class ip) me with no result since it gets the msg. of host
    > unreachable. The weird thing or perhaps the things that i can't
    > understand is why the destination address in the first row is the same
    > with the src in the second row which seems to scan a c class ip which
    > happens to be private, while i am using a 10.0.0.0/24 network.
    > any ideas????
    >
    > Cheers.

    • Re: Computer access to ACL
      ... You could grant access to the NETWORK entity, but that would give access to ... host A access to shared info on host C, but block everyone on host B" unless ... You users would need accounts that could be recognized ... by the sharing server, and server hosting the DFS, for them ...
    • Re: [OT] Is it possible to hide the ip in ssh connection
      ... server hasn't issued it to anyone else, it will normally comply with the ... DHCP has been set up properly. ... impossible to override the network policies. ... The quick answer here is to try: host, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: making Samba work [Solved]
      ... > Microsoft uses 'domain' to describe a lan network topology interchangeably ... You can use in your LAN ... If you internally use the same mechanisms to resolve host names ... No DNS server needed then. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: [OT] Is it possible to hide the ip in ssh connection
      ... server hasn't issued it to anyone else, it will normally comply with the ... impossible to override the network policies. ... The quick answer here is to try: host, ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Web Site Mystery
      ... host our own web site at this location. ... So in our DNS setup, there is a pointer to the ip address of the ... Run an ipconfig /all on your server and you'll see the ... www.europacrown.com don't work from our corporate network. ...