Last login missing

From: Milos Prudek (prudek_at_bvx.cz)
Date: 07/01/04

    Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:59:53 +0200
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    If "Last login:" is not displayed, is that fishy? Is it a sure
    indication that a cracker was there and cleaned up his tracks?

    Details:

    When I connect via ssh to my linux server it always displays Last login:
    <date> from <host>

    Today I received a suspiciously looking email from my server about an
    unexpected restart of Apache, so I logged in and there was no "Last
    login:" information.

    Of course when I logged in again, "Last login:" information was there
    just fine.

    --
    Milos

    • Re: User logins
      ... are you on linux server or windows server? ... but it depends on what you're protecting and how private or public you ... another question is how can I create a login page for my site. ...
      (microsoft.public.frontpage.client)
    • Re: questions on ssh
      ... > create ony key and when i use putty to login into my linux server i ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Linux filesystem error
      ... When i login in a linux server by ssh and it prompt: ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: GUI cant start !
      ... My linux server can't start GUI whatever i try. ... This guy says that he can't start gui but he can't login to the machine. ... bug has been reported and named "Playing with myself" in wich Trikynux ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: Linux profile auto start
      ... > Could someone suggest how I can setup my .profile file such that when ... > xx.xx.xx.xx" then login to the other server. ... > the main linux server as a particular user and it'll run a telnet app ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)