Re: just running tcpdump makes promisc mode?

From: Fred Barnes (F.R.M.Barnes_at_kent.ac.uk)
Date: 06/24/04

    To: "Monty Ree" <chulmin2@hotmail.com>
    Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:37:14 +0100

    Hi Monty,

    > I have operated redhat linux 7.x whcih kernel is 2.4.26.
    > When I run tcpdump or snort, the dmesg is seen like below.
    >
    > "device eth0 entered promiscuous mode"
    >
    > and when I stop tcpdump or snort, the dmesg is seen like below.
    >
    > "device eth0 left promiscuous mode"

    That's tcpdump (or rather libpcap I guess) putting the interface into
    promiscuous mode -- i.e. it'll receive all packets it sees on the wire,
    regardless of IP/netmask/etc. Different cards may vary in their
    handling of this.

    > But I can't find PROMISC message when I execute ifconfig while tcpdump or
    > snort.
    >
    > Why the result of the dmesg and ifconfig is different?

    Because ifconfig configures interfaces. It has no need to receive all
    packets on the wire. dmesg displays the kernel message buffer; it has
    nothing to do with configuring interfaces or tcpdump really.

    Regards,

    -- Fred