just running tcpdump makes promisc mode?

From: Monty Ree (chulmin2_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 06/23/04

    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com
    Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:21:21 +0000

    Hello, all.

    I have operated redhat linux 7.x whcih kernel is 2.4.26.
    When I run tcpdump or snort, the dmesg is seen like below.

    "device eth0 entered promiscuous mode"

    and when I stop tcpdump or snort, the dmesg is seen like below.

    "device eth0 left promiscuous mode"

    But I can't find PROMISC message when I execute ifconfig while tcpdump or
    snort.

    Why the result of the dmesg and ifconfig is different?

    Thanks in advance.

    MSN Messenger를 통해 온라인상에 있는 친구와 대화를 나누세요.
    http://messenger.msn.co.kr