Re: OpenVPN?

From: Cedric Blancher (
Date: 06/18/04

    To: "Martin Menhart, B.Sc. m-sys EDV-Dienstleistungen" <>
    Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:15:08 +0200

    Le jeu 17/06/2004 ŗ 18:10, Martin Menhart, B.Sc. m-sys
    EDV-Dienstleistungen a ťcrit :
    > Consider:
    > A lot of things can be done via ssh-tunnels, but not everything (udp),
    > and some things painfully slow (netbios)
    > Whats the good thing about that: it does only the port you define
    > without restricting anything.
    > Very easy to implement (putty an openssh at hand)

    You can achieve PPP over SSH, which is ye old man VPN known for long :

    Although one may consider IP over TCP is a bad idea :

    Another solution is PPP over SSL. I use it with stunnel, and it works
    fine. Using a patched version, one can build tunnels though web proxies
    with authentication. See :

    > I use openvpn-tunnels for several occasions and I am rather satisfied

    I like the bridged mode. Very convenient.

    > If it is not available on Deb:

    It is included in testing and unstable.

    PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE