Re: OpenVPN?

From: Cedric Blancher (blancher_at_cartel-securite.fr)
Date: 06/18/04

    To: "Martin Menhart, B.Sc. m-sys EDV-Dienstleistungen" <security@m-sys.at>
    Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:15:08 +0200

    Le jeu 17/06/2004 à 18:10, Martin Menhart, B.Sc. m-sys
    EDV-Dienstleistungen a écrit :
    > Consider:
    > A lot of things can be done via ssh-tunnels, but not everything (udp),
    > and some things painfully slow (netbios)
    > Whats the good thing about that: it does only the port you define
    > without restricting anything.
    > Very easy to implement (putty an openssh at hand)

    You can achieve PPP over SSH, which is ye old man VPN known for long :

            http://www.ishiboo.com/~nirva/Projects/vpn/

    Although one may consider IP over TCP is a bad idea :

            http://sites.inka.de/sites/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

    Another solution is PPP over SSL. I use it with stunnel, and it works
    fine. Using a patched version, one can build tunnels though web proxies
    with authentication. See :

            http://www.stunnel.org/examples/pppvpn.html
            http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/outils/ssltunnel/index.html.en

    > I use openvpn-tunnels for several occasions and I am rather satisfied

    I like the bridged mode. Very convenient.

    > If it is not available on Deb:

    It is included in testing and unstable.

    --
    http://www.netexit.com/~sid/
    PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE