Re: mrtg/snmp/subinterfaces

From: Piotr Kowalczyk (pikov_at_piasta.pl)
Date: 06/07/04

    Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:33:46 +0200
    To: Chris Burton <Chris@7of9b.org>, focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    Chris Burton, pieknego dnia 2004-06-07 19:23 napisal(a):

    >>>Tell me, is there any reasonable way to monitor subinterfaces
    >>>utilization on linux router? It's not difficult to get via snmp info

    [...]

    > Hi,
    > You can do similar and monitor the IP address on the aliased devices using
    > iptables. All you need is an iptable rule to "catch" the IP you are
    > interested in looking at. Then put together a script that reads the iptables
    > counters and gives it back to mrtg or if you want to monitor it remotely
    > exec the reporting script from snmp.

    Well, to be honest - that's _exactly_ what I did. I've already figured
    out that traffic in Linux is counted by device driver, and there is no
    way to do it my way.
    But this is the right way or... in the future, maybe I'll try
    ipt_account patch which is already present in cvs patch-o-matic-ng.
    thanks,
    Piotr Kowalczyk

    • Re: mrtg/snmp/subinterfaces
      ... >> You can do similar and monitor the IP address on the aliased devices using ... Then put together a script that reads the ... >>counters and gives it back to mrtg or if you want to monitor it remotely ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: Server Performance
      ... Check free disk space; delete Temp files/ Temporary Internet files & ... Remove unnecessary network protocols (NWLink IPX/SPX is often at fault ... > using Performance Logs and Monitor to monitor the server for bottlenecks, ... > but I am not sure which all counters to concentrate on. ...
    • Re: [patch 0/3] [Announcement] Performance Counters for Linux
      ... not just performance counters. ... consciously went with the 'one fd, one object, one counter' design. ... Rather, what the hardware provides is ONE performance monitor unit, ... of splitting things up into separate counters that look independent ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: [patch 0/3] [Announcement] Performance Counters for Linux
      ... design a core kernel facility for. ... individual counters is a real pain with any compound abstraction. ... Intel hardware is just as constrained as powerpc hardware: ... The performance monitor ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Performace Counters
      ... >I need a list of performance Counters that I need to monitor ... > because it is variable of the kind of server, I could use u list of every ...