Re: mrtg/snmp/subinterfaces

From: Chris Burton (Chris_at_7of9b.org)
Date: 06/07/04

    To: "Piotr Kowalczyk" <pikov@piasta.pl>, <focus-linux@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:23:29 +0100

    > > Tell me, is there any reasonable way to monitor subinterfaces
    > > utilization on linux router? It's not difficult to get via snmp info
    > > about phisical eg. eth1, but I have there subinterfaces which I
    > > _have_to_ monitor, and I have to do that fast. Any ideas?
    > > please, help
    > > thanks in advance,

    Hi,
     You can do similar and monitor the IP address on the aliased devices using
    iptables. All you need is an iptable rule to "catch" the IP you are
    interested in looking at. Then put together a script that reads the iptables
    counters and gives it back to mrtg or if you want to monitor it remotely
    exec the reporting script from snmp.

    ChrisB.

    • Re: [SLE] All services refused incoming connections
      ... > Suddendly i noticed that all my services (ssh, mysql, http, ftp) refused ... > I can only access it from its monitor ... Do an iptables -L to find the current settings. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: How to monitor the packages passing through my firewall?
      ... you can set the iptables options to log all activities you want. ... >> I have built a Linux firewall with iptables. ... Is there any tools which can monitor the flow through the ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: mrtg/snmp/subinterfaces
      ... > You can do similar and monitor the IP address on the aliased devices using ... > counters and gives it back to mrtg or if you want to monitor it remotely ... > exec the reporting script from snmp. ...
      (Focus-Linux)
    • Re: IPTABLES limit bandwidth?
      ... iptables --limit option is used only to limit the number of times a ... I dont see how that can be ... to monitor. ... Drishti Soft ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)