Re: OpenVPN?

From: Valentino Squilloni - Ouz (ouz_at_people.it)
Date: 06/04/04

    Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:56:32 +0200 (CEST)
    To: focus-linux@securityfocus.com

    On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Fre wrote:

    > I'm thinking to implement VPN between Debian and Windows XP-clients...
    > Plan was to use OpenVPN, as I did hear some possitive comments about it.
    > But I'd like to use some debian-apt, I have no clue what vpn-package to
    > install, though.

    I do not use debian, but what's the problem, OpenVPN isn't in the
    debian repository of packages?

    Anyway apt-cache search openvpn should answer your question.

    > Any suggestion?
    > Should I go for the OpenVPN-idea?

    Yes :) It's easy to configure and gives you interoperability with nearly
    all OS. The only problem is that in some systems where you do not have
    the tap device by default (Open and NetBSD, AFAIK) you have to apply some
    patch to have the tap driver works (this was my esperience with OpenBSD).
    Anyway nearly everywhere you have a working tun device, so usually it is
    not a problem.

    --
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?