Re: OpenVPN?

From: Bjørn Rasmussen (bjoernr_at_sensewave.com)
Date: 06/04/04

    To: Fre <fre@linux.be>
    Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 01:37:40 +0200

    tor, 03.06.2004 kl. 15.54 skrev Fre:
    > Guys (and gals),
    >
    > I'm thinking to implement VPN between Debian and Windows XP-clients...
    > Plan was to use OpenVPN, as I did hear some possitive comments about it.
    > But I'd like to use some debian-apt, I have no clue what vpn-package to
    > install, though.
    >
    > Any suggestion?
    > Should I go for the OpenVPN-idea?

    I have not used it. My impression is that FreeS/WAN is popular for
    professional applications. Could be hard to learn though.

    Things you should consider:
    Is it based on ipsec and proper algorithms
    Automatic re-keying for increased security
    Interoperability - should it work with Microsoft machines and solid
    state firewalls
    Support for different types of certificates
    Should it play together with iptables/NAT on the same box
    Community-support

    ... and so on.

    Bjørn :-)

    > Tnx.
    >
    > Fré.

    • Re: FreeAXP loses network connectivity when laptop is woken up from "sleep"
      ... What Windows version is this? ... In which case I'll guess that at least part of this is OpenVPN ... standby followed by resume. ... run FreeAXP under a Windows instance under VMware using ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • Re: Wireless User Authentication using Linux?
      ... The VPN I use, OpenVPN, is also ... > Windows support was just announced last month. ... I looked into IPSec, and I'm currently trying to find a howto on how to ... Remove +newsharvested to e-mail me | Poista +newsharvested jos meilaat ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Best VPN server to use on Fedora
      ... The stock Fedora kernel includes the ... > VPN server, then you can get to it with OpenVPN, assuming the port is open. ... > server and windows xp clients you would have to install OpenVPN on the ... > with the built in windows client, am I wrong in assuming that OpenVPN on the ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Can Windows and Linux co-exist?
      ... work quite well from Windows and Linux clients alike. ... I want to stick to OpenVPN on my Linux server and machines, ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: Best VPN server to use on Fedora
      ... 'For users of Fedora Core releases' ... >> OpenVPN, assuming the port is ... >> the windows machine. ... >> already has a client built in, I would like a Linux server ...
      (Fedora)